Tuesday, March 1, 2011

London

So, as I prepare for a trip to England, I am inundated with memories of London from my semester abroad at Goldsmiths College back in the Spring of 2003.
It's hard to believe it has been that long. 
Memories of Performances, of mediocre to excellent theater come to mind.
As an international student they offered a class where every week they bought us theatre tickets, we all attended the show and then in class we would discuss it.  Brilliant!  They also always had extra tickets, so I took my mates along for free as well.  (Seeing as I was one of the few Americans to make an effort to actually get to know the British Students that I was surrounded by, it was always easy to grab the extra tix.) I could never understand how these Americans could go to London and not make friends with Londoners.  What's the point of being in a foreign country if all your going to do is hang with other Americans.  I had the time of my life.  I think these other students were just on an extended vacation.

So as I prepare to see some old friends from my Uni days in London, I also prepare to see some London Theatre.  Any suggestions?

Of course, as I don't go to Broadway when I'm in New York, I won't be going to the West End while I'm in London. 
Speaking of New York.  I'm on my way to NYC the weekend before I head to London.  Not too shabby.
I'm going to be checking out the NoPassport Conference at the NUYORICAN POETS CAFE on March 4th and 5th.  This conference is headed up by an amazingly prolific woman, Caridad Svich. NoPassport
If you're in NYC.  This is worth checking out.  


I'm also really excited to be attending Storm Still by the Nonsense Company at PS122.  
It runs through March 6th and is worth checking out if you're in NYC.  


If you're in Providence, RI this Thursday-Sunday.  You absolutely must go and check out what the Resident Artists are up to at Perishable Theatre, RI's Research and Development Theatre.  Here's the most recently updated schedule.  Some absolutely fantastic and diverse works.  

Please note the following updates to our

Resident Artist Showings In Progress.

Thursday March 3 through Sunday March 6 at 7:30pm


There have been some slight shifts in our showings schedule.
Thursday March 3Phil Goldman of Live Bait fame with more stories of mayhem
Leigh Hendrix- "How To Be A Lesbian in 10 Days or Less"
Friday March 4Rick Massimo- "Madame Bovary" hip hop style
Vanessa Gilbert- "Architectural Aria from The Legend of the Fairy Melusine"
Leigh Hendrix- "How To Be A Lesbian in 10 Days or Less"
*There will be a talkback at end of show
Saturday March 5Rick Massimo- "Madame Bovary" hip hop style
Vanessa Gilbert- "Architectural Aria from The Legend of the Fairy Melusine"
Fluxus artist Tom Hurdle’s "Mortal Sins"
Leigh Hendrix- "How To Be A Lesbian in 10 Days or Less"
Sunday March 6Phil Goldman of Live Bait fame with more stories of mayhem
Fluxus artist Tom Hurdle’s "Mortal Sins"
Leigh Hendrix- "How To Be A Lesbian in 10 Days or Less"
*There will be a talkback at end of show
For complete details of each showing please go to the Resident Artist page of this site.
All tickets are general admission and cost $5.
Reservations can be made by calling Perishable’s box office at
401-331-2695 x 101




Seriously,  if anyone has suggestions for plays to see in London, let me know.  I'm out of touch with the London Theatre Scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment