Monday, August 29, 2011

Gettin into the Groove or the Rothko rant

After awhile on the road driving is the norm.  I miss my car when it's out of sight, I worry about it as though it were a child. This is how I felt with my car in an underground parking garage in Toronto.  I spent two days in Toronto, not near enough to get much of a feel for the place.  Yet it reminded me of a lot of other fairly large cities.  I walked around quite a lot, a homeless man asked me very seriously what I thought he should do for a career.  I took him in, studied him, saw that he was high on something but also sincere and said, "Something in Social/ Human Services where you could help people."  "Yes" he said, "I've often thought of being a social worker." 
I enjoyed the Ago Art Museum although it was all a bit underwhelming because I started with a special exhibit, "Abstract Expressionist New York", it was all on loan from the MOMA.  Ha!  I had to laugh and I had to see it of course.  Although I have been to the MOMA many times and certainly abstract expressionism is a movement I am very much inclined towards, there were paintings there that I had not seen.  A whole room of Rothko, starting with some earlier paintings that had some figures. 
Let me say that again, a whole room of Rothko.  So pretty much everything else I did paled in comparison to the WHOLE ROOM OF ROTHKO. 
Early Rothko with Figures
There was another whole room of Rothko years ago when I was studying in London at the Tate Modern.  I would go there often and just sit, totally absorbed with tears at times rolling down my cheeks.  Rothko should always be a whole room.  Never mashed up against various other artists.  This is how the Rothko painting at the RISD Museum is displayed.  I still take it in for ages, but it's not as whelming. 
Wishful Drinking starring Carrie Fisher!

Oh but this also cracked me up, take a look what was playing on Toronto's "Broadway".


Bruce Peninsula
From Toronto I took a long drive to the Bruce Peninsula.  Very very cool place.  Not terribly unlike the coast of Maine except for the main difference being that it's on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.  It does have kinda the same feel.  Camped there for a 3 nights at the Canadian National Park Campground which is situated on an interior lake which was far warmer than Georgian Bay or Lake Huron.  It counts as washing if you swim in the lake right?  National Parks generally do not have showering facilities. 
Also spent a bit of time in Tobermory right on the tip of the Peninsula then jumped on the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry and crossed over Georgian Bay and then headed through Southern Ontario toward the US Border. 

And now dear friends the coffee shop is closing so I'll leave it there for now, but aren't you glad I figured out how to upload the pictures from my phone.  I know I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment