Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Maine on up into Canada

Maine was amazing and I think if I hadn't booked things in Canada already I would have ended up staying there for ages, but I guess it was good I did because I'm also really enjoying Canada.
Driving up highway 201 through Northern Maine there is a town called The Forks, population 30.  That really struck me.  Thirty people in a town.  That's just an extended family really.  But as a town.  Think of it what you will.
Made my way into Canada and up to Quebec City.  Wonderful walled in city.  Completely geared towards tourists but somehow that seems ok here.  It's not as aggressive as that sort of thing can be.  On my way to Montreal today.
It's hard not to be exhausted all the time or surprised to see my honda civic with the Mass plates and the Cape Cod Beer sticker in this foreign city.  I supposed being slightly confused about one's location is the mark of a traveler, never really getting accustomed to one place before one moves on.
I was on a guided tour of Quebec City yesterday and in the group there was a couple from Connecticut.  After introducing ourselves and saying where we were from, the woman said to me, "I wondered where Cape Codder's go on vacation.  They head north, I guess."  "Yes that seems to be right" I said.  "We head North."  (Well in the summer anyways.)


No comments:

Post a Comment